7 health benefits of wholemeal
Wholemeal foods are a goldmine of nutrients because they contain all the essential parts and naturally-occurring nutrients of the entire grain seed, since they contain the germ, endosperm, and bran.
Here are seven reasons that prove the value of wholemeal food products:
- They are rich in fiber, which is why they contribute to a healthy digestion as well as to maintaining a desirable body-weight.
- They have low glycemic index, which means they do not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar and they constitute an excellent choice for those who have diabetes.
- They are a good source of magnesium and manganese. Magnesium has a critical role in maintaining normal blood pressure levels and in the structural development of bones, while manganese aids in the formation of bones and also boosts carbohydrates and protein metabolism.
- They are naturally rich in iron, which is why their consumption decreases fatigue.
- They are naturally rich in vitamins B and E. B complex vitamins are very important for the good function of the nervous system and help unlock the energy in foods. Vitamin E has strong antioxidant properties.
- They contain soluble fiber, which help lower LDL cholesterol levels.
- Not only do they taste delicious, but also have many health benefits due to the protective substances, such as lignans, they contain. Lignans are phytoestrogens, considered to be highly nutritious and to protect against illness.